I’ll be honest, choosing a bike is never easy, and I still struggle to decide. When you’re faced with two different bikes, it’s hard to know which one is right for you. Today, we’re going to compare the Yamaha YZF R15 V3 vs. the Yamaha YZF. Let’s see which one is more suited for you.
The R15 V3 is a classic sports bike with an aggressive design and high-powered engine capable of instant acceleration. The YZF has a sportier design and lower price point but lacks features like ABS that many motorcyclists consider essential in safety equipment.
The key highlights are Basic information, Engine and Transmission, Displacement, and Max Power. With the help of these key highlights, you can get a better understanding of the bikes and make the right decision.
There are many similarities between the Yamaha R15 and Yamaha YZF. They’re both bikes with a sporty construction, and easy-to-use ride mode system, and a strong engine that can get you out of any sticky situation. Here are some of the basic things you can look for when deciding whether the YZF vs. R15 is a good match for you:
- Body Type: The YZF is a SuperBike, while on the other hand, the YZF R15 v3 is a Sport Bike.
- Price: The Yamaha YZF is Rs. 1.78 Lakh onwards, while the R15 v3 is Rs. Rs.22.68 Lakh onwards.
- User Rating: The Yamaha YZF has 4.4 stars out of 5, compared to the R15 v3’s 4.3 stars out of 5.
- Colour: The YZF R1comes in various colours, while the YZF R15v3 comes in just the standard red, white, and blue.
Engine and Transmission:
Engine and transmission is a key factor in deciding your bike. Both the bikes are having heavy engines and transmission.
- Engine: YZF R1 has a super engine with the facility of 4-stroke, liquid-cooled, forward-inclined
- parallel 4-cylinder, 4-valves, DOHC Engine but the YZF R15 v3 engine, is liquid-cooled, 4-stroke, SOHC, 4-valve.
- Displacement: The YZF R1 is 998 cc, and the YZF R15 v3 is 155cc.
- Max Power: The max power of the YZF R1 is 200 PS @ 13500 rpm, and the YZF R15 v3 peak power is18.6 PS @ 10000 rpm.
- Max Torque: The YZF R1 peak torque is 112.4 Nm @ 11500 rpm, and the YZF R15 v3peak torque is 14.1 Nm @ 8500 rpm
- No. of Cylinders: Both bikes carry different No of cylinders. The Yamaha YZF R1 has four cylinders, while the YZF R15 v3 has one cylinder.
- Cooling System: Both bikes have a liquid cooling system.
- Starting: Self start on the YZF R1 and YZF R15 v3
- Drive Type: The YZF R1 and the YZF R15 v3are having Chain Drive.
- Fuel Supply System: Both bikes using Fuel Injection.
- Clutch: Both bikes are equipped with Disc Clutch.
- Transmission: Both motorcycles are having Manual transmission.
- Bore: The bore of the YZF R1 is 79 mm. The bore of YZF R15 v3 is 58 mm.
- Gear: The gear function on the YZF R1 is 6-speed. Also, YZF R15 v3 has 6-speed.
- Stroke: The stroke of the YZF R1 is 50.9 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 is 58.7 mm.
- Compression Ratio: The compression ratio of the YZF R1 is 13.0:1, while YZF R15 v3 is 11.6:1.
- Emission Type: Bs6 is the emission type of the YZF R1 and YZF R15 v3.
Features and Safety:
Safety is the most important part of buying a bike. The other point to be considered about safety is that the bike should have a good braking system. You need to check the suspension system of the bike as well.
- ABS: Dual Channel ABS is available in the YZF R1and YZF R15 v3.
- Braking Type: Front Disc: The YZF R1 has a Unified Braking System, and YZF R15 v3 has a Dual Channel System.
Chassis and Suspension:
While comprising between two bikes, Chassis and Suspension take a key role in comparing the bikes’ performance.
- Chassis: The YZF R1is having Diamond type chassis, and the YZF R15 v3 is having a High-Tensile Steel Twin-Spar type chassis.
- Front Suspension: The YZF R1 and YZF R15 v3 have Uni-Trak and 41 mm telescopic fork.
- Rear Suspension: The YZF R1 has Swingarm, and YZF R15 v3 has Monocross (link suspension).
Dimensions and Capacity:
The YZF R1 and the YZF R15 v3 are having different dimensions.
- Length: The YZF R1 is having 2055 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 is having 1990 mm.
- Width: The YZF R1 is having 690 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 is having 725 mm.
- Height: The YZF R1 is having 1150 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 is having 1135 mm.
- Fuel Capacity: The YZF R1 and the YZF R15 v3 are having different fuel capacities. The Fuel tank of the YZF R1 is 17 L, and the fuel tank of the YZF R15 v3 is 12 L.
- Saddle Height: The YZF R1 is having 855 mm in height, and the YZF R15 v3 is having 815 mm.
- Wheelbase: The YZF R1 is having 1405 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 is having 1325 mm.
- Ground Clearance: The YZF R1 is having 130 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 is having 170 mm.
- Kerb Weight: The YZF R1 and the YZF R15 v3 have 200 kg and 142 kg, respectively.
The YZF R1 and the YZF R15 v3 are having almost the same electricals. Led lights on the front, Headlights, Taillights, and Turn signal, Side stand in both the bikes have an adjustable height.
Tires and Brakes:
It is the final section of comparison that ends with the difference between the Tyres and Brakes.
- Tyre Size: The YZF R1 is having Front 120/70-17 Rear 190/55-17, and the YZF R15 v3 is having Front 100/80-17 Rear 140/70-17.
- Tire Type: As the Tyres are the same in both the bikes, Tubeless tire.
- Wheel Size: The YZF R1 has a Front of 431.8 mm, Rear 431.8 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 has a 431.8 mm, Rear 431.8 mm.
- Front Brake Diameter: The YZF R1 is having a Front 320 mm, and the YZF R15 v3 is having a Front 282 mm.
- Rear Brake Diameter: The YZF R1 and the YZF R15 v3 are having 220mm.
I believe that the YZF R1 outperforms the YZF R15 v3 because both have good characteristics, but the former has better engine capacity and displacement, facilitating more power. The other point worth noting is that the bike has a higher fuel capacity than the latter.
My opinion, therefore, is that between these two bikes, I would pick up a YZF R1 any day rather than a YZF R15 v3.